The Nunnery Gallery works with a team of enthusiastic volunteers who support its diverse range of local, national and international exhibitions and events. We are currently seeking volunteers for our coming exhibition Raw Materials: Plastics which runs from Friday 17th May to Sunday 25th August (installation from Monday 13th May).
Raw Materials is an on-going series of exhibitions at the Nunnery, which explore the industrial history of east London one material at a time. We’ve previously had textiles and wood and this year is all about plastic – tracing the story of its development in east London following the invention of the very first ever plastic in Hackney Wick in 1865, Parkesine.
Volunteering with us is an ideal opportunity for students and those wishing to develop a career in the arts, or those local to the area looking to get more involved with their community and history. Bow Arts volunteers will gain hands on experience with a dynamic and creative arts charity in the arts hub of east London.
Shifts are organised on a rota basis around volunteers’ availability and other commitments. Shifts are available Tuesday – Sunday 10am to 5pm (with an hour for lunch), or 6pm – 9pm for events.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Volunteers will have the opportunity to:
• Welcome visitors to ensure they have an enjoyable time at the gallery.
• Develop the day-to-day experience of working in a gallery/exhibition space.
• Learn more about exhibitions, with the chance to meet the curators / Gallery Director.
• Interact with visitor/community groups.
• Gain experience in looking after the gallery shop.
• Conduct safety/condition checks of artworks.
We’re looking for people who:
• Have an interest in the arts.
• Would like to meet new people and develop skills in interacting with the public.
• Are friendly and reliable.
• Are ideally able to take on at least one shift a week during the exhibition period (schedule depending, fewer shifts may be available).
In return Bow Arts can offer:
• Hands on experience of working for an established arts organisation in the heart of East London.
• Build confidence in interacting with visitors.
• Professional training from the gallery team at Bow Arts.
• Reimburse travel and food expenses.
If you are interested, or for more information, please send a short cover email (and CV if appropriate) to email@example.com
We look forward to hearing from you!
Bow Arts states that this volunteering opportunity is exempt from the national minimum wage.