This is an exciting opportunity for a café supervisor or enthusiastic barista with senior experience to join the Bow Arts team at its flagship Bow Road site, overseeing the daily operations of the Nunnery Café, which runs ancillary to the Nunnery Gallery and sits among 100 artist studios, next to the Bow Arts Head Office.
Hours: Minimum 35 hours per week
Salary range: £21,840 - £24,000, dependent on experience
Benefits: 25 days holiday, workplace pension, cycle loan scheme, season ticket loan scheme
Duration of appointment: Twelve months fixed term with the possibility to extend
Reports to: Director of Arts and Events
Location: Nunnery Café, 181 Bow Road, London, E3 2SJ
- Experience managing/leading a small team within a café or restaurant environment
- Barista training and considerable barista experience (refresher training will also be offered through the café’s coffee provider)
- Experience in food safety and a strong understanding of food hygiene procedures (level 2 Food safety)
- Experience of working in a small kitchen/food preparation area
- Experience of managing and implementing HACCP and Challenge 25 legislation
- Experience of managing budgets around food, coffee and wastage, and dealing with suppliers
- A minimum of 35 hours per week
- Availability to work across all hours of operation including most weekends
- Occasional evening working for out of hours events
Main responsibilities include:
- Adherence to existing café procedures and policies and new COVID-19 guidance/legislation.
- Training and management of assistant staff, including completing weekly rotas, logging sickness, arranging cover and providing direct line management support.
- Menu design, growing from a basic initial offer, using local partners where possible.
- Cooking basic hot food (i.e. soups/breakfast) as well as serving bought-in food from partners (i.e. snacks/pastries) and serving beverages.
- Working towards set targets of sales and devising strategies to meet these.
- Stock management, including ordering / liaising with suppliers (focusing on local suppliers and partners) and quantity/waste control.
- Petty cash management.
- Serving customers and ensuring they are satisfied with the offer/service, as repeat local business and building a rapport with regulars is a must.
- Ensuring a high level of health and safety, cleanliness and food hygiene – including relevant training of staff.
- Maintaining an offer that is mindful both of quality and affordability for local customers.
- Liaising with the Director of Arts and Events on gallery exhibitions and events to ensure ongoing promotion / afterhours events are catered for.
- Promoting the sale of retail items in the café, such as books/prints and artworks on the wall, with support from the Arts and Event
To apply, please send a copy of your CV along with a cover letter outlining the below to Sophie Hill, Director of Arts and Events on email@example.com • Relevant experience that prepares you for the responsibilities of this role • Your ambition and ideas for the Nunnery Café offer, including how these further the aims and mission of Bow Arts.
Bow Arts is an equal opportunities London Living Wage employer and registered charity no. 1046958. The Bow Arts office, Nunnery Café and Gallery are wheelchair accessible. Please let us know if you have any access requirements you would like us to be aware of should you be offered an interview. processing your personal data for these purposes.
The information that you provide will be used solely by Bow Arts and will be used in accordance with Data Protection Legislation (the Data Protection Act and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) to create an electronic record of your application and to process your application. If your application is successful then your data will be used to create your employee file and for all other employment related purposes. If your application is not successful then we will retain details of your application for a period of twelve months after which it will be deleted or disposed of in a secure manor. By completing and submitting an application, you agree to Bow Arts processing your personal data for these purposes.