We're inviting expressions of interest for the 7th RAW Labs artist residency at Royal Albert Wharf in Newham. The residency will take place from September to December 2019.
Open to: Fine Artists / designers / makers. We particularly welcome expressions of interest from artist groups or collectives
RAW Labs is a community hub for Royal Albert Wharf, championing arts, culture and creativity with great coffee. The space is a key component of Bow Arts’ activity at Royal Albert Wharf, Newham, alongside 40 artist studios and a wider community and education programme. The space offers residents and visitors a changing programme of arts and cultural events and activities. We are keen to explore how arts and culture contribute to creating a sense of place at the heart of a newly formed neighbourhood. RAW Labs hosts regular classes, exhibitions and events alongside a café that is open to the public, currently on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
The RAW Labs Residency is made up of:
- A practical workspace in the RAW Labs, free to use throughout the duration of the residency. We would like the space to be well used and visibly active and interesting, so we encourage it to be occupied as much as is practical and possible throughout the duration of the residency.
- A commission to create a new piece/s of work. This could be in or for the Lab space, or in the local environment. Whilst we expect this to take a physical form, the work could be in another format (audio walking tour, digital work etc). The commission should leave a legacy of some kind to remain in the space, and will form part of the growing archive from the residency series.
- A series of Public-facing activity (workshops, events, talks etc) for local residents and visitors. These could be one-off’s, or part of a longer series, but we would expect these to total at least 8.
Additionally, the artist(s) has the option to:
- Host primary or secondary school visits. This could be simple studio visits, demonstration or talks, or a more structured practical workshop activity.
- Exhibit or display work in the space.
- Rent-free workspace for the duration (typical rent £490 per month).
- Up to £4,000, comprising:
- £2,500 artist fee (to include a minimum of eight public-facing / education sessions)
- Up to £1,500 towards materials / equipment
How to apply: Please send an expression of interest to Joss Taylor at JTaylor@bowarts.com
Please outline in no more than 500 words:
- Any initial ideas, themes or interests you hope to explore through the residency
(NB: We are not expecting fully formed proposals at this stage)
- How the opportunity will help develop your artist practice
- An indication of the type and scale of public facing and/or educational activity you would be interested in offering, and your previous experience of delivering this type of work
- An indication of how the fee might support your residency
Please include up to 5 images of relevant previous work, and a link to your website where applicable.
The total file size should not exceed 6mb.
The Deadline for expressions of interest is: Friday 30 August, 5pm.
Interviews for shortlisted artists will take place on: Friday 6 September at the RAW Labs.
RAW Labs is open Friday / Saturday 12pm – 10pm and Sunday 10-4pm. You are welcome to come and look at the space to aid your application.
Further information: www.bowarts.org/studios/raw-studios