Who: Designers / Artists / Architects (with experience of working in an education context)
What: An invitation for expressions of interest to design and build an outdoor structure for a new secondary school in Barking. The commission is for the design and fabrication of an outdoor structure in a vacant plot next to the school building which will be made into a community garden. The design will be planned collaboratively with a group of students from the school.
The Expression of Interest should consist of a short CV/biography clearly demonstrating prior and relevant experience, and up to 6 examples of relevant previous works. The format must be digital. E
The successful artists/designers/architects will:
- Plan and deliver in-school workshops which involve students in the research, development and design of the space/ structure
- Develop activities/prototypes to test with students
- Create the structure, oversee fabrication and advise on installation (as necessary), considering safety and durability
The students are interested in artists/designers/makers able to create a design that:
- Creates a visual identity for the space
- Provides shelter (but does not need to be fully enclosed)
- Includes some seating
- Is appropriate for all ages and social groups
- Is accessible
- Will be weatherproof, safe and durable
- Will be eco-friendly (in both materials and processes)
The site: The site for the structure sits next to the school building, within an area of development with plans in place for a community garden on the same site, and potential plans for a build adjacent to the site. The selected designer will need to take this into account and some consultation with the members of the community project and/or architects is likely to be necessary.
The designated site for the structure is approximately 12 metres by 30 metres, although it is not necessary for one structure to fill the entirety of the space. The land is currently undeveloped grassland and will be cleared and levelled prior to any build/landscaping commencing.
There will be an opportunity for shortlisted candidates to visit the site as part of the interview process.
Next Stages: Expressions of interest will be submitted to the school for the steering group to shortlist, after which shortlisted candidates will be invited to the school for an interview by the steering group.
The steering group consists of students, teachers and members of the community group.
Proposed Timeline: (please advise the expression of interest if you have any issues with the proposed dates):
|Between 6th-11th Dec*||Interviews (*Please inform us of any dates you are unavailable during this period)|
|Dec 19||Artist / designer / architect appointed|
|Jan - Mar 20||Research, development, design workshops with students|
|April 20||Design sign off|
|June 20||Structures completed and launched|
- All aspects of the space should be durable and safe for the school environment
- The selected artists/designers should have some availability between January 20 and June 20
- Fee equates to approx. 17 days of artist time
- A technician for installation can be provided by Bow Arts, as needed
Artist Fee: £3,290
Materials, fabrication and installation: up to £7,500 (This includes VAT)
Where: Please send your expression of interest, along with a completed equality and diversity form, digitally to email@example.com. Please mark your submission - Expression of Interest followed by your name
Deadline: 29th November, 5pm
Artists / Designers / Makers