The Nunnery Gallery will be open from Wednesday 2 December, and our Nunnery Café will be open for seated service as well as takeaway.
You can browse the Nunnery Shop online (for the best east London books, original artist works, prints and more!). Do shop local, we greatly appreciate your local support at this time.
The Nunnery Gallery will be closed for Christmas between 21 Dec 2020 to 4 January 2021.
Thank you to all our visitors, we greatly appreciate your support at this time.
Nunnery Gallery is a free public gallery with a local focus, championing the work of emerging artists and uncovering local history and heritage.
About the Nunnery Gallery
Nunnery Gallery is a unique building on the ground floor of a former nineteenth-century convent, surrounded by Bow Arts studios. Presenting a diverse gallery programme, exhibitions aim to appeal to a wide audience with a particular focus on site-responsive work and works that explore the history and themes of the local area. Events accompany all shows, including panels, workshops and film screenings, creating debate and discussion around art in the community. There's also the beautiful Nunnery Café on site, offering AllPress coffee and excellent, locally-made cakes and pastries.
- Click here to download Photo Journey from Bow Road Tube Station to the Nunnery Gallery
- Click here to download Photo Journey from Bow Church DLR Station to the Nunnery Gallery
For further information, feel free to contact us.
Nunnery Gallery has step-free access throughout from street level, including to the accessible toilet and is service animal friendly. This venue does not have a hearing loop system.
Accessible parking is not available on-site but blue badge parking can be found 500m away on Fairfield Road.
If you have any questions regarding accessibility at this venue or event, would like to make us aware of any access requirements that you have in advance of visiting, or would like this information in an alternate format including Easy Read, please email email@example.com or call 020 8980 774 (Ext. 3)
COVID-19 Access Statement
Bow Arts is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all of our visitors and staff.
In light of the ongoing Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, we have put the following safety measures in place which will allow us to provide a safe environment for all our visitors and staff.
- As London is now operating within Tier 2 (High) restrictions we ask that visitors attend the gallery only with members from their household, and distance safely inside the space from all others outside their household or support bubble.
- We will be operating to a controlled capacity in the gallery and café spaces, to maintain safe visitor numbers. Visitor capacity has been based on the 2-metre social distancing guidelines.
- Visitors are encouraged to book a visit through a free online booking system, though walk-in visitors will be welcomed, as long as the space isn’t at full capacity.
- We will be supporting 2-metre social distancing on-site at all times.
- In line with government regulations, it is mandatory for all visitors to wear face coverings inside the exhibition.
- Hand sanitiser will be available at the entrance and exit to the site.
- A one-way signposted system is in place throughout the gallery and café. Entry should be made through the gallery, and out through the café. Takeaway orders will also be available through the café window (accessed from the alleyway). We also have outdoor seating in the cafe.
- All staff on site will be wearing Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) including face coverings and/or visors.
- Seating and high touch surfaces will be routinely cleaned throughout the day.
- At this time we discourage group visits. However, if you are an educational / walking group and will be under 10 people, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to see if we can accommodate you.
- If you or anyone you live with displays symptoms associated with COVID-19, please delay your visit and follow government advice.
- For more information please read our full COVID-19 risk assessment for the Nunnery Gallery.
Opening hours: Tues to Sunday 11am - 4pm
Address: Nunnery Gallery, 181 Bow Road, London, E3 2SJ
Nearest station(s): Bow Road (District and Hammersmith and City lines) is a 6-minute walk away, and Bow Church (DLR) is a 3-minute walk away.
Bus: 205, 25, 425, A8, D8, 108, 276, 488 and 8 all service the surrounding area.
Cycle: Cycle Superhighway 2